New wheel for my Bianchi

Three weeks ago i posted about the Campy Shamal front wheel I got for my Bianchi road bike. It was actually a wheelset but the rear wheel (with a classic box section rim) didn´t really matched the Shamal in my eyes. I decided to lace that wonderful old 8 speed Campy Record hub to a more aerostyle rim with at least 30mm height and silver polished finish. Well, to be honest... i wasn´t really going to lace it up by myself. In the all the years I´ve spend building up bikes for myself and for friends I never got the courage to learn this. Maybe someday but til then I´ll stick to my local bike shop. As the Campy hub had 36 holes there weren´t that much (lightweight "road-bike-wise") options and pretty soon I came up with the "usual suspects" I know from the fixed-gear market: a H+Son SL-42 silver polished with machined sidewalls (total weight about 615 gramms), a Rigida DP 18 silver polished (about 595 gramm) or a Velocity Deep V silver polished (520 gramm). You see in facts of road bike use there wasn´t much of a choice. I took the Velocity Deep V silver polished but without machined sidewalls cause the original Shamals also weren´t machined. Again Fahrrad Biela in Leipzig was my choice for bringing hub and rim together as they made a wonderful job with my last custom wheel. So today I got it from the shop and it´s wonderful! I think it really looks great even if the rim isn´t that high as the Shamal in front. I took it for a short spin and the breaking performance isn´t affected by the non machined sidewalls. I can´t wait for better weather and long rides with my Bianchi Mega X Pro.


No comments:

Post a Comment