from tire to tire vol. 1 soma - super everwear

When it comes to skidding down a tire there always pops up the question: try another tire? or same one again?
So until now I always tested the next tire - seems like it will take some time to skid my way through all these mass of tires on the market.
This is the first post in a row of tire reviews. I like to share and collect as many tire reviews made by myself as possible. There is no guide for the best skiding tire and this is not my intention. There are only random opinions or reviews on random blogs, threads, magazines and so on - keep in mind that this blog is free of sponsoring (free of sponsoring??? how real is that huh?)!!!

We like skidding a lot - this is how we do! I dont know if you believe in skidpatches or not - I do, because in mysterious ways it workes out.
I skid from time to time ambidextrous, but mostly with my chocolate foot on top (gearing 48x18 makes 3 skid patches).
I dont count how often I skid but I think its more than the average of the fixed-gear riders in my town.

The first tire to write about is the "soma super everwear" 23x622. The inflate goes from 7.0 until 10.5 bar which is higher than the most continentals. I bought it at Tokyo Fixed Gear in London for 40£(approx. 45€ EXPENSIVE!!!). I mounted it on in march/april 2010 for 8 weeks of tire abuse on my daily use bike.

Made in Japan (by Panaracer) - so this is often an argument like a hammer.
Its a non-folding tire with 350 gramm of weight - not that light but lighter than other non-folding tires out there! So you skid quite long and silent before you stop with a big black stripe on the ground. The sidewalls cracked in the end, they should last longer. When I saw the white carcass the tire got louder and there was not much time left before the tube exploded - so if you see the carcass or hear it louder than normal this should be your indicators and better care about the next tire. This thing got a lot of rubber on it, Soma advertise with 5mm of rubber but for this price even not enough for me. On wet ground skidding was not that good as I experienced on other tires before - way slippy and it took long until the grip came through. Mind the roll direction before you mount it! Fore this tire it was good to check out, but this is not my holy grail - there must be tires with better prices for same durability.




photo credits go out to Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment